Many of the animals suffer a cruel, sad life. For example, if someone owned too many dogs, starving, wounded, dogs could be one of the reasons not to do it. Many of the animals are not spayed, so many puppies are born, adding to an overpopulation in the world. Many dogs fight, leading to dead dogs. And many of these animals are not cared medically at all. The dogs may have no access to food or water, or they may be fenced outside to live outside. and the excuse "Just one more." is not a good one. One dog could lead to a thousand more.
Animal Hoarders can be charged with huge fines, or even sent to jail. Make sure you only have enough animals that you can care for, not even one over. And get your animal spayed or neutured, unless you are a breeder.These are responsible things for an animal owner.
Here are some things to check if you think you are properly taking care of an animal:
- It has access to food and water at all times.
- It gets enough exercise.
- It does not get in fights with other animals.
- If sick, it is taken to the vet.
- You give it lots of attention.
- It's not refusing food. This is a big one, since this is the most obvious thing an animal can tell if its sick.
- Is it having trouble walking? This could be a sign of a broken back, leg, or an injured back or leg.
- Is it having trouble eating? This could be a sign of it having trouble eating.
- Is it vomiting repeatedly? It could just have a fever, or be very sick.
- Does it have bumpy or flaky skin? This could be acne and/or a skin disease. It may even be an allergy.
These are just some ways to avoid being a hoarder, but the biggest thing is that you don't have too many animals! You cannot not be a hoarder without lots of animals, but you can go to jail for not properly taking care of your pet.